View Single Post
Old 04-09-07, 09:08 AM   #764
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Yes, I could easily put in variable decoy logic for some torpedoes, however, I have previously been saving that change as part of the package with the rest of the torpedoes, since no one has ever mentioned in the almost two years I've been playing DW that decoys are too effective (other than at blowing up torpedoes).

Regarding the next version of the mod, I fully expect that 40-75% of current LWAMI users will find the torpedo controls unworkable. This is at the same time unfortunate and not a reason not to do it. I've received enough positive feedback from people who have seen the original work to justify spending another couple of months working on the actual playable version.

In stock DW, torpedoes can acquire both targets and decoys earlier. However, decoys appear to be less effective in the stock game because a bug in the torpedo doctrine often disables the torpedoes' ability to track another target if the first one is lost or a more salient signal is detected. Incidentially, this is the same reason that torpedoes in the stock game often go "dumb" after burning through a decoy or being out maneovered by a target (I am assuming that SCS didn't correct this in 1.04 because the torpedo doctrine is still the same from DW 1.00...).

In any case, I find stock DW unplayablely craptacular... that's why Amizaur and I started this mod which a year and a half later appears to be widely accepted by the DW community, which to me is very high praise and I genuinely appreciate it.

Cheers,
David