View Single Post
Old 03-20-15, 09:34 PM   #150
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11
Support

DerekB 525 had a problem where his Balao-class sub wouldn't get above 14 kn. at flank speed. This in TMO.

Since it is a technical issue, I'll post my findings here.

I ran a simple mission with RFB and ISP, first with the S-18, then with the Balao. Then I disabled the ISP and repeated with the Balao just to see the difference. The Ef entries with a '*' are for GQ.
[See the attached file below.]

The S-class seemed to reach full speed until the efficiency dropped to around 50% or so. The Balao seemed to require about 85% or so; and suffered badly if the Ef fell below 50 or 60%. It shows that GQ, per se, isn't what is required, but rather a certain level of efficiency. Fatigue is an important factor here, but not the only one. Now and then I saw the Ef jump to 100%, without GQ being in force. It wasn't obvious why, but I'm guessing leadership factors come into play. It isn't clear why such a big difference between the S-class and Balao.

It is interesting to note, that with RFB alone, compartment Ef doesn't matter a wit; the boat can go full speed until the last man falls asleep!

I may have "dumbed down" the engine room crews a bit too much. They seemed ok in tests, but then this sort of thing is hard to test objectively, as every crew starts a mission fresh as a daisy. They only become fatigued over time. My thinking was that it made more sense with you to start with a poor crew, so you would have to build them up some.

I looked into the subs' *.upc files, to check if maybe I messed up the numbers. The numbers were as intended. I believe the theory behind the EffciencyDenominator is that it was set to be equal to the number of men in a shift of that compartment. For the EffciencyDenominatorBS the number is larger, as every man is then on duty. I reduced the value for the Balao by 1, and this gave a significant boost to the Ef in the game.

So, if your engine room crew seems hopelessly inadequate, I would recommend one of these options:

1. Invest in some better/more experienced sailors (they do make a difference now).
  2. Disable ISP, go in and change your sub's *.upc file. Reduce the EffciencyDenominator by 1, and save it. Keep an unaltered copy as backup. Re-enable ISP. (I didn't try this while at sea, in mid career.)
In any case, it might be wise to monitor your crew's fatigue and Ef levels, as it clearly has an impact with ISP. (It makes me wonder about the other compartments).
Attached Files
File Type: txt Test 01.txt (1,007 Bytes, 8 views)
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote