View Single Post
Old 09-19-17, 12:42 PM   #48
Stuart666
Swabbie

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Early surface ship sonars I found fairly believable, at least after I edited the detection threshold. As soon as you got in the merge of a convoy they were unable to find me, which suggests the core code at being lost in the noise of a surface ship seems to be working. I got close to a Riga and he got a torpedo off, but he couldnt pick me up at more than about 4000 yards. I can buy that.

I do think the submarines seem to be a little too easy for them to pick up say, a 1980s sturgeon. I mean, I had a Juliet pick up my Sturgeon coming in off a sprint and got a torpedo off first. Maybe that is my modding the detection threshold as being responsible, or maybe it isnt. I would expect if the CIA document to be accurate (and there is questionable data in there certainly) you would expect sonar systems of the late 1960s to be about half what US submarines have in detection range. At present, you can see the Trout cheek of the November is nearly the same as the sonar system on the Skipjack. In reality, the November was mainly created for surface attack in mind. Its sonar system was not really up to detecting nuclear submarines, again if polmar is right.

I think envisaging Soviet sonars as first, second or third generation might be the way forward here, in much the same way as the report splits them up.

Again just my view.
Stuart666 is offline   Reply With Quote