Old 08-20-14, 06:48 PM   #14
Joefour
Engineer

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0
Default Windtalkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhornchen View Post
I take my Hut off to you, Joefour. I hadn't put all this together before, despite doing German rather than French in school; I learned a lot this evening, thanks!

When I'm feeling brave enough I'll have a go at that keyboard thing.

Windtalkers was a good film (movie, now I know where you're from) too, wasn't it? My old dad was a Welshman, and even we couldn't tell what he was talking about half the time; I don't think the British Army ever cottoned on to that idea."Was ist dies "Cariad Bach?" Welsh windtalkers: what a thought... (He was in the Royal Welch Fusiliers in NW Europe, 1944-5 and yes, that IS how they spell it).
If the British military had used Welsh or for that matter, Gaelic as a code language and encrypted it, that would have really confounded the hell out of german intelligence. As it was, the B-Dienst was reading almost as much of Allied coms as Bletchley Park was reading Enigma. The problem was that the High Command had their head up their Arsch in insisting that Enigma was unbreakable.

Windtalkers was an excellent movie. By the way, remember The Tom Jones show? Forgive me if I screw up badly with the spelling but... Gwyn eich byd a dymunaf i chwi lawenydd bob amser!

"I love the smell of burning oil slicks in the morning. It smells like...Victory!"
Joefour is offline   Reply With Quote