Old 05-25-17, 12:53 PM   #25
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
You can't get there in mid gameplay
Which makes it even worse, and underlines the usefulness of the suggested feature even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
The thing with western designations for soviet ships is that they don't really work, because the soviet roles are completely different. What you really want to know is who has SS-N-14? Who has VDS? Who has the more capable sonar set? Class designations won't tell you that.

Btw, all of you guys have spent lots of time learning the ins and outs of the various platforms in DW. Surely you can learn a few ships by name.
Arguable.
While the Russians have different approaches, that doesn't render it into "not working" for NATO designations - otherwise why does the NATO still use them? Bureaucracy?
Russians designate their Typhoon-class submarines as "TK", which means heavy cruiser if I am not mistaken.
NATO stamps SSBN on it, because, well, it is an SSBN, a nuclear submarine with ballistic missiles, and that's what matters initially.

Priority:
1. What type am I facing? (SSN, FFG, CG, ...)
2. What class am I facing? (Specific systems)

Of course, that is only my opinion, but as you see other veteran players agree that the NATO designations are a good idea... actually I don't see how they cannot be in a game where you control NATO vessels.
Makes no sense to me.
Additionally, not having these designations instantly make it appear somewhat... arcadeish.

However: Your game, your call, I'm out.

PS: Quite easy to lure some new screenshots out of you!