View Single Post
Old 12-02-12, 04:36 PM   #44
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionclaw View Post
Crossfeeding looks like what I'm using for my MunRocket, it's such a heavy load so it needs all the thrust just to get out of the thickest part of the atmosphere.

I could try just for fun to set it up for asparagus staging and see how it goes.
Surely the weight change of the fuel tanks would unbalance the craft during launch and/or cause excessive RCS usage?

The Kerblas design is pretty simple, one big booster at the bottom with three large tanks, six solid fuel boosters which are vettisoned when they empty. It's staged so the main booster and Solid Fuel Boosters both fire at launch. That usually gets me up to just below the upper limits of the atmosphere. Then I kick that off and use the nuclear engine with two smaller engines to help boost that out of the atmosphere. Then I shut off two fuel tanks and run the two smaller engines dry, kick them off and then I have two fuel tanks and a nuclear engine ready to go wherever it needs to. It can make it to the Mun just fine...haven't found out if it can get back yet...got to experiment with docking now...heh...heh...heh...
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote