View Single Post
Old 01-17-15, 10:48 AM   #111
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhornchen View Post
While it was difficult and dangerous enough for escapees in the ETO to get back to the UK in WWII, how on earth did these Pacific escapers get home? I'd be interested in just one example of a route taken by an individual (mustn't spoil it for anyone planning to read these books).
Most of it was done either on foot or by some form of boat and later by submarine. Although unlike POWs escaping from camps located across Europe the escapees from the Davao Penal Colony (or Dapecol for short) the first stage of their route was used by all the escapees. The other stages for those who where cleared to evacuate was as follows: from Nasipit to El Salvador by sea-going banca (a larger version of the typical canoe used in the Philippines), overland from El Salvador to Iligan, banca from Iligan to Misamis City, overland and by boat from Misamis City to Naga Naga. In total the entire escape route covered somewhere around I'd say 470 miles or more by land, river and sea, (although this is a rough estimate based on the route that I could find using Google Earth so it is probably in the ballpark.)