View Single Post
Old 01-02-18, 12:15 PM   #3
komi
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
A strong one may be the resentment towards the enemy, so like with the german U-boats in "Operation deathlight" after WW2 where they examined and then sank and destroyed them, rather than putting them to use, or sell them.
I thought that was to keep the technology out of Soviet hands (like the US did with captured Japanese subs). But I could be completely wrong...

Quote:
Also this outlandish machinery with different system of units and all that. They would have been difficult to maintain without trained personnell and the original tools.
Hm, but the Dutch were able to put UC-8 into service...

Quote:
Another possibility is that the austro-hungarian boats were technologically obsolete, already in 1914. They had already also used german U-boat designs at the time, if with changes and adaptions.
I would have thought there still could have been less-advanced countries or those with smaller fleets who could have been dumped with some of those subs? Maybe a country like Spain in 1917-18 could have been interested in some captured Uboats if the price was right? F22 and F23 that they purchased were laid down in 1915 and commissioned in 1917, the same years as some of the surviving Austro-Hungarian subs (e.g. U-21).

Quote:
I admit i have not enough knowledge about the austro-hungarian fleet though, especially not when it comes to post-1918. Afaik most of the fleet was based in Trieste, and Pola, and i also have no idea where all those surface units were surrendered to.
Would be curious to find out...

Last edited by komi; 01-02-18 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added link
komi is offline   Reply With Quote