Old 06-26-08, 08:52 AM   #6
MDV_4life
Soundman

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Quote:
How do you mean ? Do you mean that the information is automaticly updated by locking on to the target? If yes, i though it was like this, but why doesn't i never hit a target? I once hitted several ships but that was with salvos in the middle of a convoy.
Target, submarine and impact point form a triangle. As you know, all triangle's angles always sum 180º, therefore if neither you nor the target do change course, following the target with the optics adss or substracts the exact amount of degrees to compensate the new target location. For example: If the target is at a 300º bearing as viewed from your submarine and the AOB is 40, then if the target moves to 340º on your bearing and neither you or him have changed course, the new AOB is 40+40=80º

The german TDC does this automatically, to see it just go to the TDC dials and move the "Bearing" one and you will see how the AOB one will rotate correspondingly.

Once you enter in your TDC speed and AOB, just following your target with the optics will ensure that the solution is instantly updated

In real submarines, the mechanical internals of the TDC took a few seconds to update, thus they simply moved the scope to a place where the target would cross and the Gyro angle be as close to zero as possible, and waited until the enemy ship crossed that point of aim. In SH3/ SH4 our modern PC computers do it nearly instantly, so you can point and shoot with no delay, or simply follow the target and shoot whenever you want
Yes i already noticed the AOB rotates correspondingly.

I think i know what my problem could be.
With the US U boats you had like a visual AOB. You can see the relationship in the position between your sub and the target.

The Geran OAB calculator is just a dot, and i think i enter every time the bearing of the target ( the degrees i see the ship , i.e. behind me: 180 degrees ). Do I have to enter the AOB like in the US U boat ? Like the angle it is seen from my sub?

I was a bit confused on how to use the german OAB calculator.
Could you explane how you know at wich angle it is because just from seeing the target trough your optics it is sometimes impossible to tell what angle it is.

Or do you have to use the map like in the old days ? :rotfl:

Would like to have some clarification on the OAB.

Many regards.