View Single Post
Old 01-01-09, 08:35 AM   #411
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

First of all, let just say WOW, just WOW. Amongst all the awesome mods created this one is simply ground breaking. I can not say enough to the work put into this engine and engine animation.

I read through everyone's take on the valve trains, intake valve and exhaust valve configuration. All are very valid set up for valve train operation. The three valve intake IMO would have to be two intake valves that should open at the same time and the third valve would be the exhaust valve just in a larger diameter to acommodate the volumn of burnt gases the intake valves allow to enter the combustion chamber. However, the third rocker/valve assembly could just be the injector port for the fuel. I would not suspect the third valve to be an injection valve for compressed air to start the motor because mechanical knowledge of shutting down valves off camshafts and collapsable lifters were not yet designed. I could be wrong but believe I'm correct. Solid lifters were used well into the 80's and shutting down valves while in operation I believe was not designed until the 80's by GM with the 8-6-4 V8 engine which really sucked. I believe even today air start diesels still use the intake valve as the means to inject compressed air to start the engine. On the second video of the engine and transmission the middle non-moving part between the valves looks to be the mechanical injector surrounded by the intake valve and exhaust valve. Personally, I would set up the valve train with the the outer valves opening in sync and the middle valve open after for the completion of the 4th stroke for exhaust.

Either way, the animation is just fantastic and any combination is just wonderful.