View Single Post
Old 08-20-17, 09:13 AM   #562
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
No, they don't require any previous patch, the particles generators are stored directly in LLH_LaPlate.dat and Materials.dat.
Okay, I will test them right after replying your other remarks

Quote:
That's my problem too ...

... even with floating objects.

Very nice textures, but can be used only if they are following the waves' shape.

Sure !

I think they didn't think about such a controller ...
Okay, let me see if by digging stock files I can find any useful controller. If we don't, I think that animated particles might make the flickering lesser obvious. If also that trick doesn't work, we can always scrap the effect, though not seeing any foam on the sea surface after those big splashes, would be a bit unnatural

Quote:
Mmh. I set 0,5 for the light halo, and there is no visible change, the halo is not in front of the lantern as expected ...
You might try some higher values, what do you want to achieve? On my system, after restoring the dummy 3D model linked to the same node as the light effect, the light is normally in front of the lantern (its glass looks illuminated) unless I move the camera too close to the lantern, in which case, depending on the angle, the light pops on the back of the lantern. When this happens, clicking again on the free camera (eye) icon, resets the effect and moves it back in front of the glass

Quote:
A horrible noise preventing you to sleep, and the building quaking as if it was on the point to fall in the raging sea ...
I hope they were well paid for having to go through such an horrible experience throughout their lives

Quote:
True. Just a bigger splash effect when waves are 2 meters a. s. l.

Quote:
Precisely, it's not. I explain. This texture has not a round shape. And it's always looking at camera. So when you see it from the air, you see 'lines'. Don't know if I'm clear enough. This results in this problem :
During my tests I have never noticed anything similar to what you are describing, and I find that texture pretty appropriate as main particle for low-medium waves, but to be honest my comments are only relative to side views of the effect: I don't care too much how the overall effect looks from the top, as we will rarely see it from that perspective anyway

Quote:
Really don't understand what you're talking about.

Quote:
PS : What do you mean with FX, SFX and PG's ?
FX = effects
SFX = sound effects
PG = particle generator

Quote:
Good work.
Thanks

Quote:
You mean the rusty metalic structure all around the top of the tower ?
Exactly. Except for being rusty, that framework looks like it has been just set up and waiting for fresh concrete to be casted around it. I must try and imagine how the same structure would look after an explosion, with entire portions of it ripped away together with the eaves it supported, and the remaining portions badly twisted due to the explosion

Quote:
Yes, ok, no problem.
You can copy/paste the reworked effect from the dat file linked below:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5cpmf...ghthouse_FX.7z

I also suggest you to copy the light halo material embedded in the same file: it represents a light glow with rays not sticking out from the glow (as in the stock texture), but being part of the glow itself. The effect is best appreciated against a dark background, as the sea surface.

Quote:
In stock game, the radius of the sky is 8 km. In GWX, it's 16 km.
The 16 km atmosphere mod is a separate mod of GWX, but during my tests I didn't enable it. I will for my next tests and I will let you know the results

Quote:
So, if the object is more than 8 km away from you, it will disappear.
This radius is actually longer than 8 km; a little more than 9 km measured on the nav map. After that limit the light disappears. What is strange, is that the effect linked to the generic models is visible from a longer distance...

Quote:
The 'rendering radius' is controlled by the fog parameters.
I am talking about the radius beyond which any unit is treated in game as a dimensionless point on the map and information of its damage and remaining ammo storage is reset to standard values. This value in stock SH5 is equal to ca. 20 km and it is hardcoded (though there is a patch by TheDarkWraith for setting it at wish); I suspect it replaced the soft-coded atmosphere radius of older SH games.

Still talkin about SH5, dunno about SHIII and IV, fog parameters are only for player's visual, and they have nothing to do with the actual rendering radius (as far as an unit is within 20 km from the player, it will be treated as a physical object, whether the player can see it or not depending on weather conditions and fog settings).

Talking about our mod, I think the highest and most powerful lighthouses emit a light signal that, at best visibility conditions, can be seen as far as 60 km away from their source. I wish our mod to reflect those nominal ranges, but I am afraid that setting in-game rendering/atmosphere radius to 60 km, will be beyond the possibilies of the game engine and of our poor machines.
I am wondering what could be a good alternative. Scaling down the ranges by a factor 4-5 maybe, so that the longest ranged lights will be visible from a distance of 15-12 km, and shorter lights as La Plate will be visible within a radius of only 4-5 km? what do you think?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote