View Single Post
Old 09-19-12, 06:36 PM   #39
Malakie
Bosun

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 0

I too was United States Navy, an ST (Sonar Technician) in fact to start my career.

I have NOT seen the show yet and am waiting until I can watch it on my HDTV setup. Until then, there is much I do not know yet about the story.. That being said...

Since seeing the trailer for this show I have wondered a few things and I also knew immediately that this show was just not plausible nor believable although perhaps it looks cool.

First, a sub captain cannot launch his nukes on his own. And even if the entire crew agreed, he still could not launch them without one major step in the process. There is much more involved than just turning some keys, entering some codes and pushing of some buttons. Of that/those other steps I am not going to say nor discuss because it is still and will probably always be very highly classified. Let's just say it cannot happen.

My first thought when I saw the trailer was that the ONLY way anything like this had any possibility was if someone very high in the government somehow went rogue, was able to obtain launch codes, other procedures needed AND had access to some other very important parts of the government in this process and then somehow sent a legitimate launch order to the sub only for them to find out it was not valid and now the real government thought they went rogue.

But even that premise would just be so far out.

Thankfully I can say from experience that this scenario is pretty much impossible. There are too many checks and balances, way to many questions that would be asked and MUST be answered and so forth for there to be a launch. And that even includes in the case America is struck or launched upon first. Something known as the 'deadman's switch or scenario'.

I personally am more interested in the new show Revolution because it is more plausible albeit that is also a stretch in the sense all electricity is forever turned off and cannot ever be turned back on... even on that one I cannot think of any scenario that could change physics to such a degree and yet mankind survive...

Malakie

United States Navy Service Connected Disabled Veteran.
"A nation that forgets its veterans will itself soon be forgotten", Abraham Lincoln.

Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote