View Single Post
Old 08-22-18, 05:42 PM   #15
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Someone (you??) has some notes on their adventure getting S3D on their computer, and I used that, but cannot remember...

It is entirely possible that I covered it in one of the many threads where I covered a little bit (as necessary to clarify my point), but it's not in the thread you linked.
(Planned, but has yet to happen.)

Quote:
But, let me get this straight, a newer Linux distro, 64-bit, and a newer Wine do not ~need~ the DirectX v9.0c and the Windows Media Codec install from the SH4 install package?... but 32-bit Linux installs do - or might?... ??

The vast majority of DirectX 9 "redirects" are in place in WINE. Certain programs may have been programmed with certain DX 'bugs' in mind (for example: 99% of Win95 programs), as a such may require a certain DirectX to be installed.

However, even if they are installed, by default WINE will not use them.
You must set the .dll 'overrides' in winecfg.
WINETRICKS does this automatically when you use it to install DirectX/Dotnet/etc.
My Steam based SH4 "installed" DX9 on it's first run.
As several other games, all in that same prefix.
WINETRICKS won't install certain items to a 64bit prefix, Dotnet is one of them.
(Makes it hard to use some mod tools for certain games.)

S3D requires Dotnet 2.0, which will NOT install (last I checked) in a 64bit prefix.
So it would require a 32bit prefix with it installed.
I setup one because a few games, "way back" in 1.7.xx (late 2014, when dinosaurs roamed the earth) required it to work properly.
WINE v1.7-1.8 finished up the DX9 work (based on what I've read), and 1.9+ has started on DX10/11...

Quote:
As a little side comment to your "freezes", I'm getting the same thing on my Win7-64 install, and the dirty fingernail is being pointed at the first signs of hard drive failure on my Seagate 3G "back-up" drive (which somehow became a "data" drive over the course of time... ). My Windows swap file is on the drive, and I'll have all sorts of weirdness as the drive is accessed. A move of the swap file, and the computer is fine. At this time, I'm trying to do a true back-up of the data, and going nutz trying to do it and mod FotRSU right now - and keeping my tootsies crossed that the drive lives long enough to get the data off of it...

I'm running through the basic test to check what it is, but it started with an upgrade, but the old 5200x2 is working fine, for now...

I thought maybe it was settings as I used the backup "test" user which is 'stock' on all the settings to test if maybe it was a case of conflicting settings, but it still froze on running the Unigine Heaven benchmark.

So I'm thinking it video driver related, I'll swap back to my R9 380, and my R7 370X later to test and see if it's just the RX 580's drivers or if is something else.

Drive test came up clean, RAID is in good shape.
Plus I'm running a RAID 10 f2, so I've got a backup, a single drive failure wouldn't stop it.

Odd thing is, it's not a "hard" freeze, music still plays, and you might even be able to "ctrl-alt-f2" and login there. But even then it'll eventually hang if I try to shut it down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the no sound problem.....

Only thing I can think of through all of this, is that maybe there is a bug for that sound card, or maybe something is simply turned "off".

But without being able to sit in front of it, I'm almost "wandering around in the dark..."

Things have changed a lot lately.

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote