Old 01-17-17, 09:57 PM   #3533
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Testing with .52
Upon returning to Freemantle, 0/3/1943 from photo recon of Surabaya, I accepted the new sub upgrade (from a Gato) and got a Balao. Then I noticed I did not get a full complement of torpedoes. See screen image.

I can't read the fine print on your image, but the Balao should have 6 forward facing torpedo tubes, 4 to the rear. Your image shows 4 and 4. So, if that's an inventory of a Balao....its not right. You should have two more "slots" in the forward torp room. Looks like another issue with upgrades just popped up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait
I had only one crew slot per gun, fore and aft. Usually there are two per gun in other mods. I did not save the game, but I can replicate it by adding back the twin 40's. To continue the campaign I went back to port and restored the single 40's. No matter which one, there was only one crew slot per gun (and only two for the deck gun - other mods usually had up to five crew slots for the deck gun).
I'm fixing that issue of having only one slot showing on the Crew Management page for a duel crew AA gun.

On a related note, I found that the FOTRS Twin 40mm Bofor only had one crewman in the models .dat file. It's a stock game oversight that no one with the original FOTRS caught. Even if there are two "slots" showing on the Crew Management page, and you filled them both with a crewman......the gun only had one modeled crewman manning the gun. It will be corrected.

As far as having additional Deck Gun crewmen beyond the two seated, was some of TMO's doing. Ducimus got carried away with having extra men standing around the deck gun. The problem I see with as many as five is that the extra men are linked to the gun itself. If it rotates, and it will when telling the crew to fire upon a target, the crew will swing off the side of the narrow subs deck on some of the subs. Good idea, but in practice the figure of two crewman manning the gun, and maybe one other officer, would be the limit. I'm thinking to add an Officer to the crew, have him fitted with a headset, and leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER
I would have thought realistically there would have been some very competent crew members that would have enhanced their knowledge of what they specialized in.
Are you forced to activate special abilities, if so then optional would be the best way forward?
You have to remember that you are putting FOTRSU out there for all levels of different players, some of which need more help than others when playing their game.
I mentioned the other day that FOTRS doesn't have a Qualification for Gun Skills, that's the crossed cannons icon for a crewman (least not at the start of a Campaign; a man may gain one with experience...I think). I found the file that lists these skill ratings and plan to have them work better, at least giving you a crewman that has some Gunnery skills. The "skills" do supplement the calculations for final determinations of results, so it would be a shame not to offer them. Having them appear within the proper "slot" is an easy fix that will be in the next update.

As far as the crews "Special Abilities", I'm not sure about them. I've never used them much to have an opinion.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 01-17-17 at 10:07 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote