View Single Post
Old 06-20-19, 09:08 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwulf View Post
Thank you for the response, and my apologies regarding confusing the terminology.

As far as I am aware, I have not touched the Generic Patcher since installing per the TWoS instructions (I don't even know how to access it). The only thing I opened was the OFEV in which I altered nothing. I was just concerned about the 'Patches' tab within that program. I did save/load in the bunker as per the instructions when starting a campaign, however I was not so aware about overwriting saves causing a problem. I imagine that may be the issue, I just found it hard to consider the saves breaking and me opening OFEV for the first time on the same day as a coincidence. Suppose it was haha.

Guess a great deal of confusion was between the Generic Patcher and the OFEV as mentioned. I guess I thought they were the same program. I have only added the TWoS mega mod, and real navigation as that came with it. Looks like the mega mod takes care of that anyway?

Thank you again for your response and willingness to help!

If you didn't change the Generic Patcher there is nothing to worry about, except that you seem to have corrupt savegames. Try to recall what you have done before saving. Also read possible solutions in the WoS doc included, it's exhaustive about possible crashes and malfunctions.
With corrupt saves, go in your savegame and delete the file 'special.txt' and restart game, there are chances this will correct the savegame.

When saving games:
- Never use Autosaves
- Never overwrite saves, save in separate slot each time (you can delete slots in the same save menu)
- DON'T save with units in sight (there are some cool exceptions, in enemy ports, in Scapa Flow, try out...)
- Don't save game with flooding or high changing damage in your sub (and don't use high TC)
- Best do save in open sea, more than 60 km away from ports with no contacts in sight - you will never have problems.

I'm not saying you will have problems everytime you disregard it, also if you have a lot of saves to backup your progress, it doesn't matter, do what you want at the cost of having to reload if something goes wrong.

A quick guide for the OFEV:
You can change the lookout of the game, e.g change the dials to have a style like SH3/SH4/SH5; generally you can change things that you would otherwise change in-game in the NavMap or TAI options with the difference that the changes are permanent when starting game. Then, a lot of options are there to setup which information you get about contacts on the maps (consult the THEBERBSTER sticky section and watch the pictures).
To change options in the OFEV, click on the + sign of a patch which will expand it, READ THE DESCRIPTION, double click on True/False or the trigger to change it. When you have done all changes (and only then!), click Save in the menu and quit.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-20-19 at 09:49 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote