View Single Post
Old 10-18-18, 10:09 AM   #3
tAKticool47
Bosun

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

I agree and particularly the US lightweight torpedoes all seem to suck.

The MK46 is a good torpedo but has an abysmal range and small warhead. This is partially true in real life as well but it's pretty bad in the game.

The MK50 was/is the highest-performing lightweight torpedo in the world. It uses a novel powering system for it's propulsion (the whole spraying-gas over lithium-block for steam etc.) because it was designed to counter what we had envisioned of the Alfa's propulsion and capabilities -- 40-45 knots @900+ meters etc. It also used a custom, specialized and AT THE TIME, highly-capable microprocessor for search logarithms and command logic. In the game, it's really the only one I have ever had any success with hitting a bad guy with. Also it seems to have a better warhead - it's the only lightweight torpedo (American I should add) that I've killed a sub with one hit... not OFTEN, but it's happened. These torpedoes were cancelled because they were very expensive, the materials very difficult to acquire and assemble, and we thought we'd not really need to deal with deep-diving, hi-performance Soviet subs anymore. (Peace Dividend).

The MK54 is *supposed* to be the best lightweight torpedo in the world. It's indisputable it has the highest capability of electronics in the world. It's got the best computers -- BY FAR -- of any countries' LWTs and the best acoustical equipment. BY FAR. It was supposed to be a 'hybrid' of the MK46's propulsion and "body" and the MK50's "brain" (while using the most modern circuitry available etc.)

In the game it's borderline useless for me. Not sure I've ever hit something with a MK54. All they seem to do is spin in circles.

Edit- I was wrong about something.

One thing I have wondered- is there a more advanced or modern naval combat sim? I don't think Cold Waters is for me, it seems different. I like the "technical" aspect of DW. But I would also appreciate some ASuW vs ASuW combat, some AEGIS warfare and CSGs/ARGs/etc. It would be so awesome if there was a modernized version of DW released.

Last edited by tAKticool47; 10-18-18 at 10:27 AM.
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote