View Single Post
Old 12-24-08, 04:33 PM   #3
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus
How complex do you think an automatically generated scenario for DW can be?
It depends. I sincerely doubt that they'll be the kind of "submarine novel" scenarios that some people like. Depending on how the campaign is written they might be as complex as, say.. a good photo recon mission, though. A lot depends on how well the campaign is written and how well the role of each platform in the campaign is understood. I assume, essentially, the "scenario generation" software would be a wargame in itself and one could "jump into" individual tactical engagements as an alternate means of combat resolution.

Quote:
Do you see possible problems due to shortcomings in the DW AI and scenario editor features?
Maybe. Suppose you sink a ship in DW. How does the scenario generator know that platform is sunk?

Quote:
How open (modable) such an application could be (would it be possible to add new areas of operation easily or would this be limited to only one like in Fighting Steel in the North Atlantic)?
It might be worth it to create a framework where one might be able to add new theaters in the future, but I wouldn't worry initially about building every campaign into it. You could do that later. It might actually be interesting to see other people's spins on the same campaign. Like in Falcon there's two versions of the North Korea campaign that take place in different time frames. I would start with a China-Taiwan scenario or a World War III that never happened scenario since it would most likely be the largest and then figure that if it could handle that, it could handle anything else.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote