View Single Post
Old 03-17-16, 08:43 PM   #4453
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
If you didn't make a backup in-port save with a different name before editing, try saving it now with a different name, re-start SH4 and see if the new save loads. It might because sometimes a file gets corrupted if it is saved over and over again with the same name.

I always make saves with a different name roughly 8 hours before returning to base just in case, and also to save the patrol data for writing patrol reports with Kim Rønhof's report generator tool if I'm doing that. If I need to save during a patrol I always use a different name like "aanker1, aanker2, etc. and load that new save the next time I want to resume my patrol.

Do you have any saves you can go back to?
I have a bad habit of not saving while on patrol. It probably goes back to SHIII, where saving near ships, or underwater, or during a slight breeze, etc. would make things go badly. And SH4 seems to have problems when loading saves on patrol. I can't swear to it, but it seems to me that when I load a save at sea, there's a 50% risk that I won't get credit for half the ship I've sunk. So most of my saves tend to be in port between patrols. (Maybe I need to start trying different names for my saves. I don't like having a lot of extra files cluttering up the load screen, so I do tend to reuse them.)

However:
I am pleased to report that USS Gar (SS-206) is currently offshore of Freemantle, heading for the Lombok Strait enroute to recon an enemy harbor, and that she has a full crew on AA guns and her stern-mounted deck gun. I finally had to cut and paste the crew section of the file from my previous save to get the crew slots back. I only ended up with one duplicate crew member when I was done. Thanks so very much for saving my boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Oh no, sorry to hear that, I haven't heard of this happening before. In-port saves should work without problems unless a major super-mod is installed on patrol 4 - for example.
COMSUBSOWESPAC is certain that the failure is not in any way related to the installation of the RSRD Campaign for an S-Boat career, and the fact that the save loads properly after removing this mod is simply a coincidence. The Mark 6 Exploder... uh, I mean save file is working perfectly as designed.