WernerSobe
Commodore

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercules
Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerSobe
well actualy the real AOB finder that ive seen pics of only needed the known length and "angle of projection" data. Seemed to be very easy and quickly to set up.

angle of projection is the ralative angle of the ship to your boat from bow to stern. You can find it by counting the horizontal marks in your persiscope. The manual says each mark is 1° or 4° depending on zoomscale.
Well, I assume that you would still need to know something else besides the known length and apparent length ("angle of projection") - i.e., the range, because the apparent length will obviously be different at different ranges. I was thinking about a method that used the range directly, along with actual and apparent length, but that of course requires you to first determine the range and then input it into some formula/chart/wheel mechanism for solving AOB. The aspect ratio approach outlined above takes the range into account indirectly - since the apparent mast height also changes with range like the apparent length, by using the ratios of the two you don't need to actually determine or know the range to solve for AOB - you only need the apparent height and apparent length (to compare against the known values from the recognition manual or pre-determined aspect ratios from a chart), and both of those can be obtained from the 'scope - a clever way to avoid the stadimeter CTD bug for those who still have that

I'm not sure if I'll take the time to use these methods during combat, but they sound like a pretty good way to confirm my AOB estimates and "train" my eye during sub school practice to make better guesses using the Mark 1 Eyeball.
youre right there was also the range involved.
WernerSobe is offline   Reply With Quote