View Single Post
Old 04-27-20, 11:16 PM   #23
BradR
Watch

Downloads: 97
Uploads: 0

I would like to post an update addressing Horsa's request to hear a little more about the Flotille mod (FMS) at the Mille Sabords forum. I downloaded from the link provided by UglyMowgli. The .exe was flagged as a potential virus, but I had a feeling my custom set firewall was just being as prudent as I told it to be, and indeed the link was genuine. I've only so far explored the DC mod, and have yet to investigate the SHII mod. It does seem to be an amalgamation of different mods, with original content. I have identified elements from the Iron Seas mod so far, especially with the CIC screens, but I've only just started tinkering with Flotille. It adds new Shell music and intro screens. There are new unit and model elements, including the Littorio-class battleship and the Cavour-class battleship. I don't know if they are originally from the Mare Nostrum mod or novel creations. There is a unit file to add the British-loaned battleship Arkhangelsk. Since Soviet navy ships have never been much of an element in either DC or SHII, save some merchants and a few destroyers, I find this to be a interesting addition. There are Italian sub units and models added, and I've even spotted a Greek cruiser. There are a few new missions in the Historical folder that appear to be missions between the ABDA and the Japanese. There does seem to be an interesting side-effect of installing the mod, as the Shell text now appears to be in French. I have not yet been able to find a fix for this, and restoring a backup of the Shell DSF does not return the text to English. For someone like me, however, who has played this game to the point that menu navigation is a matter of muscle memory, this will hopefully not be a problem. It also appears that it is necessary to manually make a backup of any files that wish to be retained as the installer does not automatically make a backup. I look forward to exploring this mod more. That being said, I too am looking for the Mare Nostrum mod also and have been unable to find it. I'm curious as to why it is not included somewhere in the Subsim downloads or legacy downloads, but perhaps there is some reason for this. If anyone is able to find that mod, do let me know. In the meantime, it appears the Flotille mod will do nicely for those of us wishing to incorporate the Regia Marina in our scenarios.

Last edited by BradR; 04-28-20 at 12:03 AM.
BradR is offline   Reply With Quote