-Added thermal layer
-Sonobuoys can be dropped deep or shallow
-Torpedo search cone now affected by depth difference between sub and torpedo
-Torpedo search depth can be preselected
-Dipping sonar now displayes the coastline
-FAB-250 and Mk-82 work like depth charges
-Mi-8 has FAB-250
-Added Su-25, Su-25T and A-10C
Depth plays a much bigger role after this update. I introduced a simple model for a thermal layer, which will cut active sonar detection range (both for dipping sonar and the torpedo homing head) by half. This will force you to search on both sides of the layer with your dipping sonar. The search depth for torpedoes can now be preselected in the F10 radiomenu and allows to have a torpedo search either above or below the layer. Sonobuoys are likewise affected by the layer, cross layer the received signal strength is reduced. To compensate, sonobuoys can be dropped in either a deep (400m) or shallow (50m) mode. This will determine to which depth the buoy will lower its receiver.

Submarine depth now also affects the MAD detection range (additionally to helo altitude, which was previously already implemented). A deep sub will show a weaker signal even if you are directly above it and might even outdive MAD detection altogether!

The torpedo search cone is now limited to +/- 30° in every dimension. If the torpedo searches at a depth that is offset too much from a sub, it will not detect it even if you dropped the weapon right on top of the target. One reason more to select the correct search depth for the weapon before launching it.

All this makes determining the submarine depth quite important. The bad news is, it is impossible to determine the exact submarine depth! Like almost everything in ASW, getting target depth involves looking at all the sensor data available and then making the best guess possible

FAB-250 and Mk-82 can now be used like depth charges. Instead of exploding on the surface, these bombs now enter the water, descend to a depth that can be preselected in the F10 radiomenu and explode underwater. They have a rather generous kill radius of 25 m. Wiki talks about a kill radius of about 6 m, but I have increased it to compensate the fact that my subs are only point objects. I haven't used them much yet, but they seem to be pretty useless. I guess there is a reason why the major navies went for nuclear depth charges Still I think they are a fun little addition. The first one that kills a sub with a depth charge unassisted by Show Truth wins a virtual bottle of Scotch! You will truly be the first one ever, I haven't done it yet

Additionally I added the Su-25, Su-25T and A-10C to the mission. This is not meant too seriously, just to get a little taste of Viking style fixed-wing sub hunting.

-------------------------
Commander 21squad Harpoon International Community site
http://www.21squad.com
Minoslas is offline   Reply With Quote