View Single Post
Old 04-19-18, 02:13 PM   #9
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Didnt know that about your lineage Steve! Thanks for sharing.

and you're father was absolutely right. You can have all the skill your hands can muster, all the knowledge your head can hold, all the work ethic of America's best working class people... but if you dont have a serving or two of luck thrown into the recipe, you and the opportunity you hoped for could blindly pass one another to no avail.

thats how i ended up where i am.

In my twenties i had the skill and the knowledge and the work ethic, but if it weren't for bad luck i wouldn't have had any - and in the simplest of terms, timing is everything as they say so it didnt work out.

hard times will come again to aviation. one morning airlines are going to snap to attention and realize "oh lord! we have way too many pilots" and they will slow down or freeze hiring or lord forbid furlough people.

if you follow Mike Rowe you have heard him say "if you cant follow your passion you should at least bring it with you." and thats what i did with the insurance job. that attitude served me well and i poured myself into that job, made a name for myself, advanced to management positions.

but now my chosen passion is throwing opportunities at me i could easily pass up... but i dont want to be asking myself 15 years down the road "what would have happened if i had gone back to flying?" and frankly, in 15 years, it will be likely too late to go back.