View Single Post
Old 03-15-17, 10:16 AM   #4231
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Thousands, Capn. I'm in the "deep" deep area. Notice the Longitude markings. That 152°10'E seems to be key. If I'm East of that mark, no sound. If I'm West of that mark, I can get The New Sound. I just haven't figured out what the trigger is, nor what the sound is, other than it's something in the Sound folder... My ejju-mah-kate-idd guess is that it's an explosion sound's "tail", like a reverb tail, like we're hearing just the last second or two of the sound, but I dunno. The original "The Sound" was part of the original "Crash Dive" sound that got "stuck" (descriptive, scientific term) in the audio engine, and could only escape when the sound system was re-set with a TC change. As you see in that video, I went up to 16x at the most in TC, but for whatever the reason, upon reaching periscope depth, it triggered the sound. Startled me so much that I hit the keyboard to get that Captain's report... Do you want me to send you the mission file?
No don't send the file. Let me find it on my own.

I'm wondering if there's something in the terrain makeup that's causing the sound. In other words a "seam" that's between two different area's of the terrain environment that "raises" the modeled sea floor to within striking distance of the sub. That's why I asked about the "Depth below Keel" figure when you hear the sound.

I don't mean you'll "see" the sea floor raise. The sea floor model can still look the same. The behind the scenes sea floor depth that's calculated could be off though, causing the sub to hit this error in calculation....which produces the sound your hearing.

The reason I'm saying this is what I wrote to s7rikeback yesterday about. In his listing of all .sim file Draught (draft) figures (they are what's used to calculate the depth of a ship), they are larger than the Draft figures of the Recognition Manual. This .sim Draught figure is the "Substance" of the ship below waterline, even though it isn't drawn on the 3D model! I couldn't help to notice the RM figures (that are from the .cfg file) are much smaller than the actual measurements that the .sim file uses...those "Substance" figures of the ship. The reason is due to getting a "hit" for both a Contact Detonator torp and the use of a Magnetic Detonator torp. You're to use the so called "Draft" depth of the Recognition Manual (the .cfg figure) and go below it by 3 to 5 ft for the Magnetic torpedo to do its job. Well, it won't do its job if the .sim file Draught (draft) doesn't go lower than the listed .cfg file Draft figure so you can make a Magnetic Torpedo strike something.

Here's the point, this area around Truk, what's the depth of the sea in this area? When you look at some of these ship Draught= figures from the .sim file their 40-50-60 ft in depth. Is this Truk area sea floor that deep? In your video's, I noticed you looking under the ships to "see" where the keel of the ship was in comparison of the sea floor. BUT, this visual look is not what you'll actually get.....the sea floor "Substance" comes from whatever the figures the Terrain .sim files state it is, AND a ship only clears it when the ships .sim Draught figure is less than what the Terrain floor figure says it is. Not what the appearance of the 3D model renderings are.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote