View Single Post
Old 03-12-14, 10:52 AM   #286
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
Well the MK48's seem to have working acoustic homing. would it be possible to use acoustic homing as a substitute for real (modern) guidance on the traumahawks, since acoustic homing already in the game? I did manage to get one hit with the tomahawk but that was on a large modern composite freighter that was doing 4kts. Oh, i just realized that i said Harpoon in my previous post, i meant tomahawk
That's the usual first response to give it the acoustic homing, and only option given that it's still a torpedo. However, the high speed of the "TASM" + homing ability = hilarity.

In all actuality the acoustic homing is more wake homing in its behavior in the game itself. So this leads to a less than 100% hit rate on the first pass, but it will re-attack the target. This is where the hilarity ensues. The TASM will circle the target at high speed before flying off in some random direction. But not always. Sometimes it will circle around and actually hit the target.

So I've tried (and am still trying) different solutions to the low reliability of the TASM. The main problem off accuracy lies in the acceleration of the weapon itself. Since it is a torpedo as far as the game is concerned it accelerates like one. However the TDC is not capable of taking into account this acceleration time and plots a solution based on the weapons max speed of 550kts.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote