View Single Post
Old 06-05-09, 05:08 AM   #10
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post
Isn't this a moot point? I mean if the ship is illuminated then it is neutral, and if it isn't illuminated then there are no lights aimed at the flag. Where is the problem?
I agree, no real need to ID the ship if it's running with all lights blazing. Having said that, in my experience, not all neutrals sailing alone have their lights on. I sunk a US ship approaching the Bristol channel once that wasn't lit up. For 24 hours I had to suffer attacks from Irish hurricanes because of this transgression. Since then when running in TC I have noticed that when my watch crew spot a neutral and this could be a long way out as I use the 16km atmosphere, my game only drops to 8 TC and I don't get the verbal announcement "ship spotted". When an enemy is spotted I get the verbal announcement and the game drops to 1 TC. I instantly know if it's enemy or not, a bit of a cheat but not intentional on my part (is there any way to change this?). Neutrals in convoys of course, are a different matter altogether.

Nemo

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF