View Single Post
Old 10-26-08, 11:34 AM   #34
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

I am pretty sure SC was 64X and DW may have been less. Mainly played the former, but both are now archived to tape and not on disk.

The problem was that one often had choose between TC on long transit or legs and risk destruction, or go at 1X and risk boredom.

I used to try sprint and drift with TC 1X drifting and listening and then TC MAX when sprinting. Since you couldn't do your own NB sweeps in TC, I would either turn on the AI or watch the BB at TC MAX. However, that still was less than optimal, since by the time you see it on BB, you could have had it on NB five minutes earlier. The difference between life and death!

Now, in that regard using TC, the Soviet FRAZ was superior, since you could visual monitor the full range of low frequency NB all at once. However, the Soviet passive sonar was modeled less sensitive and TA drop out speed was modeled at a much lower speed. So, it was easier to run at TC, but in any case you didn't hear as much.

It was interesting in reading RSR manual that it talked about the Seawolf having swim out torps and not creating launch transients. Of course SC/DW model launch transients for all boats. They show up on the BB as sudden flat pancake shape of noise. (Always bothered me that the AI never reported these only TIW, the sound of a torpedo screw in the water.) The RSR manual stated that with subrocs you would have no early warning, since the launch transient would be too distant to pick up. Well, in SC/DW you get transient, but it almost like that, since the AI won't anounce until the fish is in the water.

The real problem with transients in SC/DW is without the announcement, you have to be lucky enough watching BB. This gives you only 30 seconds to spot it on STA. However, myself when I have a distant POSSUB, I end up spending a lot more time in NB/DEMON - trying to identify and TMA trying to work up a good track and solution.