View Single Post
Old 03-03-15, 06:01 PM   #69
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

With advice and knowledge of my best veteren crewmember and fixing up the bow with the proper profiles (I was modelling Seawolf instead of Nautilus doh!)

Got the general shape done. I got lucky and lots of the geometry lines up perfectly with the bow tube doors and sonar window.

Still needs lots of cleaning up before I can add any real detail though.

Modern boats will be a breeze.

Ohio class

And I have pictures of the Typhoon class down to her reactors. Go figure. God bless my American brothers...

Worked 7.5 hours straight to get that done and record/edit/post a video and install Unity 5. Time for a break. Well ok 3.3 hours looking at pictures, 2.5 modelling, .5 emailing, .5 video-ing and hte rest misc.

Regarding unity 5: it does run fast, I like that I can now keep my normal, bump, AO, emission, spec, diffuse and masks seperate for materials, but without any assets it still doesnt come close to UE4. Im not sold yet. It looks just as good as UE4 out of the box with realtime GI then UE4 which doesnt have realtime GI. With just a simple model though. More testing required. But it is SERIOUSLY unoptomized. A cube on a plane with a directional light the stock skybox with no materials makes for 60 FPS on my GTX 760 TI. I used to get 130-180 and UE4 gets me above 110-120 with a similar setup. Having it recalculate the lighting drops the fps by 5-10. Bump up the quality settings from fantastic to max and it drops another 5-7.

I do like that duplicating an object increments the name now. And it does feel homely just from all hte hours I've spent in it though. Monodevelop still sucks ass. I will refuse to even try it any more until they update the visual studio plugin. And I got a socket error on startup. And the authentication system was lagging my system bad oddly. The editor is butter smooth though, and you can snap, but its hidden way in a menu. Not a tiny button up top or hotkey like in UE4 and no near the same amount of flexability with snapping. I could of scripted the same snapping system into the Unity 4.x editor in an hour or less.

Unless something seriously changes my mind otherwise: UE4 stays, I'll still continue to use Unity for games that are better built on it. 2D mobile, simple games... etc. For a project as ambitious as mine with hardcore simulation, modding, DLC's, extreme graphics quality... UE4 fits it. If I wanted to build my simcity clone, I'd probly choose Unity in a heartbeat. If I was gonna steal Chads prohibition game idea in FP or TP i'd probly go to UE4. If I wanna build a mobile 'ColdWarSubSim', I'd port everything over to Unity. Why not have both, now that I can?

Last edited by nsomnia; 03-03-15 at 06:47 PM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote