Thread: Seawolf Preview
View Single Post
Old 12-31-17, 07:10 PM   #11
C-Wolf
Watch

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Having built a more than a few submarine and Seawolf-class 3D models of my own, (see my user profile pics) one suggestion I can offer up to the devs is to lose the DSRV alignment markings (and int'l orange marker distress buoy, if that's what that was intended to be).

The only time those lines are painted to indicate the location of the escape trunks is for initial sea trials and DSRV exercises. It's an error I see repeated often in CG renders and decals on plastic models either due to ignorance or wanting to add "something" to an otherwise bland hull marking scheme. A 6-12" greenish scum line corresponding to the waterline is a nice touch of realism one can add for detailing.

International orange-painted distress buoys, (marked in English and French with a handset inside so any would-be rescuers could listen to us scream) went away in the early 70's; ours were welded into the deck to minimize rattles or accidental deployment and were painted black. They were useless in the majority of the world's oceans due to deep depth and short cable/phone lines.

If life got ugly and events went sideways, we had small buoys that would transmit where (and sort-of how) we bit the co#k. They operated on a timer that was reset during every mid-watch. If the timer wasn't reset, it would launch itself and that would have been a very bad thing. It would also automatically launch if the boat went too deep or took an unrecoverable angle.

"The emergency blow system won't work if we're upside down, but never fear, --the buoy will," we learned to recite whilst qualifying . . .

Sagire, Classis, Destructum!

Last edited by C-Wolf; 01-01-18 at 08:37 AM.
C-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote