Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 07-17-18, 12:13 PM   #6342
Milano
Swabbie

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

Ok I got it working and it is a really REALLY good mod. But is it THIS realistic (or is this a bug)? I will explain the situation and you all can give me your advise, please?

I started a campaign in the S boats in Manilla in '41. A few war, relatively unsuccessful, patrols later it is 6 July '42 and I am patrolling the Solomon islands. Guadalcanal just fell to the Japanese. A few days ago I came across a Japanese Submarine and it basically out ran me. I have been patrolling for a few days along it's last course to try and sink her when I get a radio contact of air craft, it turns out to be a PBY. Watching the Nav Map the PBY made some sweeps like it was attacking something. AH HA!!! says I. I go to the location and there is a sonar contact, that my sonar man can't pick up or see, or whatever. Doing some triangulation and sonar work, I have him down to within maybe 1,000 yards. There is NOTHING in sight so it must be a submarine. I have been camped out or around the sonar contact for 18ish hours and it hasn't moved and I haven't seen it surface. I also have been pinging to try and get a range to target but I am not getting a return.

Could this be a bug? Could it be bubbles or something from a sunken (by the PBY) ship? Can the Japanese subs stay underwater for that long? If it was a sub wouldn't it have moved or something by now? Is there a way to make the S-class boats use ACTIVE Sonar? Also is there a trick to getting the sonar man to do his job and find contacts? (and I know that the S-class to be submerged to use the sonar)

I am quite interested in what you all think and would do. Thank you.
Milano is offline   Reply With Quote