View Single Post
Old 06-16-18, 11:00 AM   #2
greyrider
Watch Officer

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 0

I worked on this problem last nite, using the angular setup of the normal approach course.
it's pretty safe to say at this point, that this is the setup for the continuous bearing method, it's a 45-45 right triangle.

the pic below is the test mission from silent hunter editor, target speed is 5 knots, the bearing to target is 270 degrees, the aob of the target ship is starboard 45 degrees, from here the aob increases by one for every degree of target advance,
so it looks like the aob can be known at all times, by looking at the bearing of the target, and adding the number of bearings the target advanced from 270, and add that to 45.

example:

target's bearing is now 300 degrees, that's a thirty degree target advance from 270 degrees, add 30 to 45 and the aob at bearing 300 will be 75 degrees. that in itself is continuous, the aob keeps increasing by one degree continuously.

this ship gets the torpedoes right in the stern.

for the shooting side of it, I still have some consolidation to make, but I could fire torpedoes and hit the target at 5 knots beginning at 349 degrees, and use every bearing continuously as a firing bearing from 349 to at least zero degrees, that's 11 firing bearings, I think there's a few more, I just went to zero for now.

349 degrees would be the generated bearing for this angular setup.

the range decreases until the target ship gets to the midpoint of the hypotenuse, after going thru the midpoint, the target begins to increase in range.

now its just a matter of consistency of all the speeds the opfor has, 1 knot to 36 knots, I think it goes that high.

extra line drawn to show the 90 degree angle

Her gun crew had guts, however, for from her canting bow came a half dozen well-aimed rounds. How they pointed and trained their gun on that tilting platform will long remain a wonder, and their dedication in keeping up the fire until they went under would be a matter of pride to any nation.

O'Kane, Richard. Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang
greyrider is offline   Reply With Quote