View Single Post
Old 06-15-18, 02:29 PM   #1
greyrider
Watch Officer

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 0
Default first steps to analyze, the check bearing and continuous bearing firing methods

with the constant bearing method explained and posted, the arcade nature of this game is over, but there were two others methods in the TFCM that were taught to u.s. submarines crews, the check bearing and continuous bearing methods. these methods, like the constant bearing method, have very little to go on, and so its alittle like reverse engineering, accept in most cases, there had to be some kind of product in hand to reverse engineer. there is nothing online or in the manual to explain these methods, accept a procedure when firing these methods, the angular set up of the track isnt mentioned, there is nothing, but I think I'm beginning to make headway on these methods and maybe, just maybe.

all three methods could not have been for a ninety track, that would be redundant, these other two had to be made for different angular tracks, but then again, one of these might be for a right angle, like the constant bearing method is, but it may use a different set up of the right angle. in the constant bearing method, the hypotenuse of the right triangle is the bearing and the range to the target, but I think in one of these other methods, the hypotenuse of the right triangle is used for the targets course, it looks like a 45-45 right triangle, and therefore an Isosceles right triangle, the bearing to target will be 90 degrees, and the target and submarine or torpedoes are heading to a collision point, which will be one of the acute angles in the triangle, I'm almost going to commit and say that this angular setup is either the check bearing or the continuous bearing method. one of these methods maybe in the picture below from the TFCM.

so if there are two ways to use a right triangle in a firing method, it means the right triangle has been completely used up, so one of these other methods was made for a triangle other than a right triangle. I figure it must be either an Isosceles, where target course distance to torpedo impact is the same as the range to target, since Isosceles triangles have two congruent sides.

if it's not Isosceles, then it maybe a equilateral or equiangular triangle, and if it's equiangular, that makes it equilateral.

Isosceles setup

so it looks like just setting up test missions, with these angular setups, and then apply the procedures spoken of in the tfcm, and figure out just what they mean by check bearing and continuous bearing. anyone that wants to help can, you won't be doing it for me, you will be doing it for the community, and for realism.
Her gun crew had guts, however, for from her canting bow came a half dozen well-aimed rounds. How they pointed and trained their gun on that tilting platform will long remain a wonder, and their dedication in keeping up the fire until they went under would be a matter of pride to any nation.

O'Kane, Richard. Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang
greyrider is offline   Reply With Quote