Thread: A few new ideas
View Single Post
Old 03-08-24, 07:21 AM   #165
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

136. No roll option - to prevent nausea.

I find that any perceivable pitch/roll/yaw in the boat - pretty much 3 kts windspeed or above - causes me to become nauseous over time. This is caused by there being a conflict between what I see the boat doing, and the lack of attendant actual movement via the inner ear balance mechanisms. It's essentially the reverse of normal sea-sickness, where one feels the movement, but if below deck, you see no such movement. In both cases it's the conflict between inner-ear and visual references that causes the nausea. (hence the advice to "go up on deck" if ever you are sea-sick on a boat) I doubt I'm alone in this. It would be wonderful if there was an option whereby movement of the boat was able to be suppressed for a player who prefers not to endure this. I fully accept that it's part and parcel of a naval game, and that it's not really on for me to ask a lobby host to always feel the need to dial it back just on my account... Plainly if a player is on the deck or at a periscope, then they'll need the "full roll experience"....
Fidd is online   Reply With Quote