View Single Post
Old 07-14-17, 04:44 AM   #22
stormrider_sp
Planesman

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadriss View Post
Imma step in here before someone else does. The WLR-9 is still used in US warships, and it's capabilities and design remain classified. For now, you're gonna have to just wonder.
Thanks and then, well, please...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller1 View Post
Shadriss, I hope you got as big a laugh on this proverbial BULL**** has I did... What a load of crap...
Oh, yes. Yes indeed. It's just right enough to deceive the folks who know nothing, and wrong enough to completely screw you over entirely.
...don't laugh of us folks who don't know nothing; everything is classified.

If I may, I'd especulate that the WLR-9 is capable of providing data for accurate TMA. I'm not sure if it can receive data from all the sensors in the boat, but for example, if it could merge data from both the towed array and the bow sonar, than, theorically, it could be possible to triangulate the emitter position after a single ping and have a weapon on it straight after. If not, I wouldnt doubt either that by knowing the emitter frequency, one could generate a good range estimate via doppler shift, which would help explain the need for so much SIGINT in peace time sub operations. Other than that, I'm pretty sure that if there's someone assigned to handling the WLR-9 console, he could at least, with paper and pen, create a basic but accurate geographical/time bearing rate plot, or at least yell the bearings to someone else in the control room to do it.

Last edited by stormrider_sp; 07-14-17 at 04:56 AM.
stormrider_sp is offline   Reply With Quote