View Single Post
Old 02-19-07, 07:44 PM   #683
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
To make things easier for people who download GWX, don't you think that it would be good to upload a new GWX patched version on the official GW website ? Then, the first GWX version would be deleted.
No I don't think that it would be good at all.

What you are proposing is for the GWX devs and testers to re-u/l 800+ mb of files throughout the world - a task that can take over three days to achieve - just so that you can avoid d/l a 70mb file (which would be required anyway to avoid the backlash from the majority of players who would prefer to d/l 70mb as opposed to re-d/l 800+ mb of files!).

You are then proposing that BBW supports (well, I propose the BBW part) multiple versions of the GWX installer. I can just imagine it now... "what version of GWX do you have installed?". "I don't know, the full one", "which full one - there's two you know" (two being three, four, five, six depending on how many more patches are required). LOL!

BBW will just love that!

And what happens if we find another bug? Do we go through it all again?

jimbuna is spot on with his SH3 analogy. I had no problems finding, d/l and installing SH3 patches 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4b when they each first came out. I'm so glad that I didn't have to re-d/l or purchase SH3 each time! (although some current budget releases of SH3 includes the latest patch.)

FYI GWX Patch 1.02 will include and hence replace all previous hotfixes and patches and can easily, and quite effortlessly, be installed over any previous release of GWX...without the support hassles that multiple versions would bring. It will be linked on the GWX webpage, so will require no more "searching" to find.

GWX Patch 1.02 is NOT the Spring update. It's a fix patch. I anticipate one more fix patch before the Spring update. The fix patch will be distributed as an independant patch (most likely titled 1.03). The Spring update's distribution method will be announced at a more appropriate time (like near release). For all intents and purposes the Spring update will be the final update.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote