View Single Post
Old 02-03-06, 09:28 AM   #12
SubCommander7142
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Well, I get interception, kind of makes me want to slam my head into a wall every time I think back how I missed the previous contacts

Anyway, I've been trying to get my torpedo solutions going better, I can do it easily on Automatic targeting, but the game just doesn't feel like a sim when I do it, so I'm trying to learn everything doing it manually.

I can determine the range and the 90 on a target as well as its course and where to intersect it, giving myself plenty of time to line up and set my fish. But I'm not quite clear on the 3:15 rule, even though during the initial sightings and plotting, I mark the map on the contact every 3:15 as forcing the habit. I do four 3:15 apart and measure, and, from what I read, the measurement determines the knots of the target. BUT, every time I think I got the speed and set up an interception I'm off ALWAYS (not in firing, but positioning). And I know that the contact hasn't spotted and increased its speed somewhere because my stealth meter is stating that I'm still good while I'm on course to my designated waypoint.

Now, what I've been doing is measuring the speed of the contact by listening on the hydrophone and counting the sounds on the screws (thanks to the tutorial I downloaded on Subsim excellent Mod by the way), but I would like to understand where I'm going wrong in the 3:15 rule because that seems to be an easier way to get a contact's speed at this range, and thats how I plot the contacts course direction anyway.

Anyone know where I'm going wrong here?
SubCommander7142 is offline   Reply With Quote