View Single Post
Old 04-04-13, 09:05 PM   #29
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Version 0.1 released: http://rapidshare.com/files/16935040...ander_0_10.zip

I've been thinking about the submarine editor and decided to hold off releasing it for a while. There are a few reasons for this; the main one is that it's still pretty difficult to use and unforgiving, so it would be a lot of work for a user to actually create a new sub. Since the game is still being actively developed, chances are that any user-made subs would soon be obsolete and incompatible with the current version within a week or two... so to save you all some frustration I've decided to wait a while

Version 0.1 takes a step in a different direction:
  • Nations and cities, and diplomacy have been added to the world. You're no longer a sub sailing round an empty world, there are now around 15 nations and 30something cities. You can select a nation using gameoptions.ini (but if you pick a nation without a seaport the game won't know where to put your sub and might crash, so I'd recommend sticking to USSR, USA, Great Britain or China at the moment). There are still many more cities and countries to be added but it's a start!
  • A tactical map has been added to the weapon systems control panel. This is a small map displaying the submarine's surroundings, with a range of about 40 nautical miles. Eventually this will show a info about a target from the sonar, radar and periscope to help plot a firing solution for torpedoes.
  • Your submarine now moves at a realistic speed across the world map. Because this is pretty slow, I've added "fast travel mode" to emulate a time compression system. Press F while the map is open to activate it; pressing F again, or leaving the map, will cancel it.
  • The placeholder model for diving and surfacing has been replaced by a real one - ballast tanks are now modeled semi-accurately. The amount of water in the submarine will affect your ability to surface, and severe flooding will sink your sub.
  • Missions have been added to the game. Near the start of the game you will receive a radio message with your orders - select the radio and press enter to read radio messages. There's only one type of mission at this stage, but now that the system's in place it'll be easy for me to add more in the future.
  • Lastly, there are a few bug fixes, mostly relating to crashes when travelling in the arctic circle at high speeds.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote