View Single Post
Old 01-10-17, 02:26 AM   #380
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDos View Post
Can't find enought info \ pics of final years troop transport version, so i don't know how it was :P

I've found pics of her with 2 funnels and "AMC masts", pics of her with 3 funnel and "civil masts" but with spaces for guns...
Quite obviously, the first three pictures in your last post show the ship in her pre-war configuration.
The last two pictures are compatible with what in this webpage is called "a ‘time-capsule’ of Queen of Bermuda memorabilia when she was a troop ship" (i.e. the pictures below):

and the pictures you had previously posted for references

In the same webpage Keith Baker, the discoverer of the ‘time-capsule’ pics, is said to be glad talking about them, and his contact details can be asked to the webmaster of the page. Maybe you can get in touch with him asking for more information and better scans of the pics. In any case, what I get from the pictures we have gathered so far is:

- only two funnels, as in the AMC version
- most of the big air vents removed/replaced with... mushroom-shaped turrets and other weird stuff (sorry, I cant be of more help on the meaning of those structures, but maybe someone else will )
- masts in the AMC configuration, but with a couple of kingpost cranes added forward, more or less where the foremast was in the liner version
- bridge in the liner (pre-war) configuration
- paint scheme as in the liner (pre-war) version, including the red funnels with black stripes
- no indications on the guns, but seeing how even civil merchants were armed at the times, I don't see why they would have removed them during the conversion from AMC to troopship apart from replacing the 6 in main batteries with smaller caliber guns maybe
gap is offline   Reply With Quote