View Single Post
Old 06-21-17, 02:47 PM   #34
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
also, not to be gruesome, but drowning is actually one of the least painful way to die. You pass out very quickly. I did a lot of scuba diving when I was younger and it is a possibility which you have to be aware of on each dive.
I completely disagree. Not only am I too a diver, but I was a medic for many years. I actually had to deal with drownings and near drownings. Asphyxiation/Drowning is one the most painful ways to die "naturally". It is not the "pleasant" get a mild headache, hallucinate some, and then drift off associated with hypercapnia (High Co2). It is a violent and painful struggle for the return to normal mechanical ventilation. As one holds their breath near the end, the Co2 gets exchanged into the air in the lungs, which reduces the effects of hypecapnia. As you can no longer hold your breath, you then expel that CO2, and inhale the water. That's where the pain comes from. Unless the person is very disciplined in holding their breath, they are still conscious when this occurs.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote