Old 03-08-19, 12:03 PM   #14
dashyr
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 181
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
About Red Book

It's still good guide but it was made for Sub Command where some aspects of game works little different than in DW. DW have better game engine physic. For example TA does NOT follow directly own submarine path, so crossing contact bearing from TA + another passive sonar won't give you CLEAR picture like in Sub Command.
Also RA haven't detection limitation by range but level of noise. In vanilla DW/SC all above some range - no matter how loud was, you had'nt chance to detect it.
Currently in RA you can detect cavitation of submarine from over 20-30 nmi.

All advices in RED book based on assumption: you can detect enemy first and have some time before enemy will detect you. (Seawolf vs Akula II)

In RA Akula II have also very sensitive TA and assumption above is wrong

I finally did it. Using a tactic from the redbook I managed to have an estimation with a margin of error of less than 200 yards. Enough for the torpedo I was using. The only time I ever raised my periscope was to confirm it was my target before doing all the launch preparations. I didnt raised ESM mast. I did it with a single sensor by tracking my target over time. Going the opposite course than it. So lines intersect exactly at it's current range with an acceptable margin for error. Giving me a quite decent solution. So yeah. ONLY reason for me to use the periscope anymore is to visually identify my target.

Now I have to learn how to target a submarine!

Thanks for the pointers.
dashyr is offline   Reply With Quote