View Single Post
Old 07-07-17, 05:59 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That's why I don't like these daily noodlings in my computer by Windows Update. They ruin "The Hive", which is what they've been calling "The Registry" since Vista-64, which I had on a laptop and absolutely despised, especially prior to SP2... I bet I had to restore that thang a half-dozen times because of one of their updates trashing things in "The Hive".

Probably what's going on with your install RR, is the windows update itself seems to hang. It's not really, it's just having a tough time of it downloading the updates, because Windows Update needs updating, but of course it can't, because Windows Update needs updating, which of course it can't... recursiveness - kind of a Catch-ah Twenty-Two... See if you can't find a slipstream article on the web somewhere of which updates ~have~ to be put on the install disk, so that you can not have all that "hanging" crap.

My thinking is that MS is doing that on purpose with Win7 (especially) and Win8, so that folks get so frustrated that they give in to MS and purchase the Win10 subscription. I've been meaning to do the same myself for a while now, because I really should re-install stuff on my "The Beast" and "freshen-up" a little...
Actually, knowing Microsoft's sketchy history and eagerness to prosecute anyone posting repair tools on the Internet, I had done my homework this time. Made a system restore disk. (how many times had I seen "You didn't make a system restore disk. You deserve your fate." in posts on help forums?) I had a restore point made just before the update. Nothing could go wrong.

But it did. The update proceeded normally to the end. The dialog box said the update was installed and I needed to reboot. That's the last I saw of Windows. Froze at the loading screen with the bar. The "system restore disk" did several meaningless little stunts but fixed nothing. When I tried to restore to my system restore point, it was invalid. End of show and this is on a 3 week old installation of Windows.

Windows has again fallen and can't get up. A brand new installation is my only option.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote