View Single Post
Old 03-15-11, 07:12 AM   #44
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiwillige View Post
Now most lend lease losses were actually English to Russia in the north sea, American lend lease was through Iran mostly (Something new to me) And our losses were at around 7%

Now in furthering my research I contend that (IF) Lend lease saved Russia it was in the 41' 42' time frame. But I am finding that there are so many variables that even experts cant agree.

In that period the Russians were still rebuilding their factory's that they uprooted and shipped east beyond the Germans rapid advance.

More research continues!

And Eddie, I would assume that those loco's were sent in pieces and assembled at destination.
American lend-lease went through both the North Sea and the Persian corridor, also through the Far East since the Soviets were still neutral in the Pacific war until August, 1945.

You might be right about the losses. Looking through it again, I see sources listing around 400,000 trucks and jeeps arriving until either the end of the war (September, 1945) or March, 1946, while other sources list around 300,000 until the end of the war in Europe. Though I don't think the amount sent after the end of the war in Europe could amount to so much...

Anyway, I agree that if Lend-Lease saved the Russians it was in 1941 and 1942, but don't forget that it wasn't just Soviet production that was rebuilding but Lend-Lease also didn't start arriving in large quantities until 1943 and 1944. Whatever the actual number of trucks that arrived were, only about 10%-20% of them arrived in 1941 and 1942, and over half of them arrived after 1944.