View Single Post
Old 03-13-11, 06:39 PM   #40
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiwillige View Post
So this is what I initially dug up on the topic.

Lend-Lease as a Function of the Soviet War Economy

Lend Lease
The data on materials in the first link is just what I was missing, thanks!

Now, both sources seem to have fairly reliable numbers, but they are still somewhat problematic:

The second link clearly uses numbers sent, rather than numbers received, so it fails to account for units which were lost on the way or otherwise diverted. So it for example lists around 400,000 trucks and jeeps sent, but the number which actually arrived seem to be around 300,000.

About the first link, I don't know if it uses numbers sent or numbers received, so I'll have to assume that it is the latter. However, it clearly doesn't account for production before the German invasion, which is stated, and also doesn't account for stockpiles which existed from before the war. This is a very large difference in some cases; for example, the link shows that Allied locomotives account for some 81% of Soviet wartime-acquired locomotives, but when combined with the amount they had from before the war Lend-Lease locomotives only amount to some 6%. Of course this number is also lower than the effective contribution of the Lend-Lease locomotives since most of Soviet rail losses would have happened early in the war, before Lend-Lease, but it is still nowhere near 81%.

Last edited by Raptor1; 03-13-11 at 08:19 PM.
Raptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote