View Single Post
Old 08-24-17, 05:43 PM   #8
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

thereddaikon

I discussed the limitations of IR missiles in my first post. They have a narrow field of view and need to be essentially bore sighted onto the target. In a submarine, its very rare that you would have that accurate a position of the target to be able to launch a VLS stinger at. given that these are rocket fired missiles, they accelerate very quickly, and if it isn't pointed directly at the target when it exits the water, and the aircraft is close aboard, the missile will pass the aircraft before it can maneuver to hit the target. It might not even see the target. They are also fairly short ranged missiles so they have to be close enough to hit, but far enough away for the missile to be able to turn and engage. That's a very narrow engagement range. If you try to get a missile that finds its own target, it will be just as likely to chase the sun or a flare as the aircraft you aimed at.

Kilen

Yes aircraft radar sets are compact, but keep in mind that compared to a torpedo tube or missile tube on an average submarine, they are still very large. They are also A directional radar, only aiming out in a cone from the direction it is facing, it is not a 360 degree coverage radar. I'm not to familiar with whether they could be converted into one with a rotating head like a ships asr but even if it could, the rotating mechanism adds to the size. Now the radar gets its power from the aircrafts electrical system, IE the generators from the fighter. You need a stabile energy source which means a generator, or a very large battery. Add that to the size of the buoy.

Also now keep in mind that for a One time shot, you are now taking up 2 VLS tubes, one for the radar buoy and one for the missile launcher. That's two tubes that you can't use for other munitions.

Thirdly, unless you have it set up where the buoy is fired like a torpedo and runs out a ways and then pops up and radiates, your still flagging your position to an enemy. Even if you kill the helo or ASW patrol, what's going to stop the ship from which the helo came from firing a torpedo or an ASROC at you. Or relating to another aircraft, or a submarine in the area.