View Single Post
Old 01-09-18, 09:02 PM   #26
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I still think private users probably do not miss anything if delaying this patch. Its not as if the vuln erabilties intorduced by Meltdowna nd Spectre, of which there are now over one dozewn attack options known I think, can hit orivate users easily. The attacker needs his code on your PC in order to extract that data from forbidden memory sources.

Behave and by that reduce the probability of this code reaching you. That way your risk probably is smaller than if you risk to trust in Microsoft.

Linux Ubuntu and Mint should start to get new Kernels these days. But not even there I am in a hurry.

What I noticed, however, is that on quite soem websites in the past two days, response times by servers have gone way up. Occasional slow traffic at timers odf a day's high traffic phase, that is something one is used to, but this is too widespread and too general currently as if I would accept that reference as an explanation. I think those patches they applied make themselves known by degrading server performance. These patches, if they should have an mitigating effect, necessarily must slow down processor performances, you cannot avoid that, its the nature of this kind of patching that is needed. Private PCs so far do not feel much - server farms however: that is something else, there many small degradations add up.

They have plenty, plenty, plenty of optimization work to do there. Or replace hardware.