View Single Post
Old 07-09-16, 07:32 AM   #261
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Jim, the flurries of "Welcome aboard" posts, are well-intentioned and possibly gratifying to the newbie. But they consume bandwidth and storage space on the server. Bandwidth and storage space cost money. As a contributor to and financial supporter of SubSim, I believe I have "standing" in this matter. I agree with BK that I would rather see SubSim's limited resources spent on issues of impotance to the community, instead of feel-good for first-timers, some of whom only post once-in-a-lifetime to get the downloads. Perhaps the greetings could be limited to 1 or 2 official "Greeters"? That would serve the purpose of welcoming new members while still being cost-conscious.

BTW, BK has contributed a great deal to the SubSim community with his efforts, and his posts here, viewed in toto, I don't think can fairly be characterized as "clutter." Just my opinion, but I think he has earned a bit more respect than that.
Regarding the "Welcome aboard" posts, I fully agree and have felt similarly for a long time but I also have to take into consideration Neals wishes which are of the opinion that welcoming posts are a positive contribution to the community but to what extent those messages in threads such as this are of lesser value is open to individual interpretation and as such I certainly don't have the time to weed out those of such a nature throughout the forum.

You may want to PM Neal if you disagree or would like further explanation.

Your last paragraph: I wasn't the one to introduce the word 'clutter' and quite frankly I'm at a loss to see where any lack of respect is suspected. My response was directed solely at the post I quoted and certainly not intended to cast any aspersion on anyone.

I trust you'll appreciate if I don't go too much into contributions financial, modding or otherwise....my cv is up there with all of them.

Of course, my position in the community obviously brings with it total scrutiny and as such I must be prepared to explain my actions when necessary.

Oh the joys of being a moderator

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote