View Single Post
Old 12-05-12, 11:40 PM   #13
Kyth
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
A 2nd opinion.

I agree with Txema, if you'd like a 2nd opinion on the game, come on over to the Graviteam forums, I can assure you they're far from dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
Seeing it has been a long time now I was wondering if at least some of the most headache inducing stuff has been fixed:

AI. With no control over your own units (at least none worth mentioning) they really are a bunch of suicidal maniacs with no will to live, no sense of direction or tactics or cover or anything. Right now I find them utterly useless with the only exception being the additional firepower for defending a position and even that is dodgy at best. Strike one. (Ok, in all fairness, the infantry is valuable and useful for the first contact but would be really useful if they didn't just storm off to be blasted to smithereens)
I find that it's a matter of scripting.
A lot of the stock missions' scripts force the AI units to bull ahead without any tactical finesse. Interestingly, the basic tactical, unscripted AI shows a better sense of self-preservation.

Quote:
Stop (formation order): Is there any way one can have the units in a defense position without everyone racing off to go intimate with each other? (See AI)
There's a set of platoon commands in the tactical / briefing map, which you can use, including an order to go into defensive positions. You can also command your tank platoon to spread out.

Quote:
Spotting: I ran the single mission Krasny Gigant and faced the single StuG there. Here's what happened: It came out in the wide open clearing, free line of sight even for my driver, less than 50 meters away and noone ever spotted it. Attempts to manually "spot" it was equally useless. It did not end well. Why did it come out in the open? It spotted me as I moved along the road through the southern forest and did what all tanks seem to do: Race in to no more than a few tens of meters as they often did back in the days Strike 2 and 3 and I'm leaving the game.
Personally I found the mission to be a breeze. In the T-34 you can stand off and slaughter the early-war German tanks almost at will.

Quote:
Right now as it is, I find this game totally unplayable. Granted, I am not a tank wizard, far from it but all that above, it shouts uninstall.
Please update the game with the latest mods and give it another try! As mentioned elsewhere, there have been dozens of new playable tanks added in, allowing user-made missions for all periods of WW2. Many of the new missions are also a lot more subtle and make better use of the AI, in my opinion.

Try it again and be pleasantly surprised!
Kyth is offline   Reply With Quote