View Single Post
Old 12-04-12, 05:56 AM   #1
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default Steel Fury 1942 revisited??? (and a minor rant)

Looking through my games I found Steel Fury Kharkov 1942. I haven't played this one in a very very long time and I wondered why not so I reinstalled and patched it with Unofficial_patch_SF_v0[1].1_eng and fired it up. Within a few minutes I remembered why I uninstalled it after a few tries but:

Seeing it has been a long time now I was wondering if at least some of the most headache inducing stuff has been fixed:

AI. With no control over your own units (at least none worth mentioning) they really are a bunch of suicidal maniacs with no will to live, no sense of direction or tactics or cover or anything. Right now I find them utterly useless with the only exception being the additional firepower for defending a position and even that is dodgy at best. Strike one. (Ok, in all fairness, the infantry is valuable and useful for the first contact but would be really useful if they didn't just storm off to be blasted to smithereens)

Stop (formation order): Is there any way one can have the units in a defense position without everyone racing off to go intimate with each other? (See AI)

Heavily armored foliage. What sort of shrubbery do they have over there? Not even a king tiger can take the amount of shells those leaves can.

Spotting: I ran the single mission Krasny Gigant and faced the single StuG there. Here's what happened: It came out in the wide open clearing, free line of sight even for my driver, less than 50 meters away and noone ever spotted it. Attempts to manually "spot" it was equally useless. It did not end well. Why did it come out in the open? It spotted me as I moved along the road through the southern forest and did what all tanks seem to do: Race in to no more than a few tens of meters as they often did back in the days Strike 2 and 3 and I'm leaving the game.

Right now as it is, I find this game totally unplayable. Granted, I am not a tank wizard, far from it but all that above, it shouts uninstall.

Oh, and is it possible to give that clown who is constantly bellowing "we're hit" for the rest of the mission, a nice warm cup of STFU? Any way to disable that one cry or at least have it played once but not more than once? I have found the German voice files but not the Russian voice files. If they can be located I am considering replacing them with my own so I won't have to rely on the subtitles to know what and where the enemy is.

Last edited by Von Due; 12-04-12 at 06:11 AM.