View Single Post
Old 11-27-07, 10:15 AM   #12
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

At the moment, I have put my grand schemes on back burner, since I have yet to play all the SC and DW missions hosted at SubGuru. Right now, I am still playing through the user missions for SC 1.08. Then, I will move on to SCX, SCU, and finally, LWAMI.

First, other people's scenarios although usually not very dynamic are dynamic, so to speak, the very first time you play them, and I have lots ahead of me.

Second, I am learning a lot about scenario design and the game engine by playing what others have done.

However, I still think a dynamic campaign set of scenarios or pre/post-processor would be a rebirth for these two sims. For example, SH2, was a relatively closed game system. The PA team through work done with Kriegstanz (a scenario templating engine) and pre-processors created SH/PA (Pacific Aces) and turned it into a true dynamic campaign. Sadly, like most great mods it was still hampered by original games bugs (like save games not working) and finally the arrival of SH3 killed off large scale community interest in the mod. At least, those of us who play SC/DW don't really need to worry about anything usurping these games. Yes, UBI could bring out a Cold War subsim, but it will be a hack on the SH3/4 engine focusing on graphics first and simulation second.