View Single Post
Old 05-15-08, 04:34 PM   #108
Tomcattwo
Loader

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Delareon said:
Quote:
As Friedl9te explained to me its quite hard to "simulate" german language with an english speaking Software... So it sounds to me that we have to wait for an German "Addon" for that speech recognition software, to get a real good solution, but i also think that there will nothing come from M$, maybe for Vista but definately not for XP.
Yes, that's just the way it is. Don't hold your breath waiting for M$ to come out with a German-based (or any other language other than English for that matter) voice recognition software for XP. Vista, I don't know, but for sure not for XP.

Delareon said some more:
Quote:
The reason is simple u cant really put all that commands in phonetically because there are many german phrases u cant "simulate" in english. One simple example is the letter ü. I dont see a chance to convert that into an phonetical english phrase.
Yep, you are correct. There are some sounds in German that there simply are no good English phonetic equivalents for, and dialectic German pronunciation makes it even harder. umlaut-vowels are one particular example, though I tried (with the help of a natural German speaker) as best as I could to produce sounds that were close. The speech recognition engine is really pretty forgiving, and the .csv file is easy to manipulate so that for those few phrases you find where it just won't recognize the way you pronounce a phrase, you can probably try a few combinations and eventually find a phonetic pronunciation it'll recognize most of the time. It still confuses "neun" (noin) quite often with "null" (nool) - I have yet to find a good way to put "null" in phonetically so it sounds like what it ought to sound like when produced correctly. The recognizer hears "nool" as "nooool", and "null" as "nuhl", neither of which are the way it is pronounced in German by most German speakers.

Quote:
Same Problem like between most of the other languages in the world i think. A really good project but the limitations of the M$ Software are horrible in that case.
Yep, however in MOST cases, the recognizer really does a pretty good job even with our butchered phonetics substituting for proper German pronunciation. I recommend you try to change the pronunciations of the most troublesome phrases for the way YOU pronounce thijngs within the voice_commands.csv file to personalize it for the way you normally speak. In any case, I hope you get some enjoyment out of the program.
R/
TC2