View Single Post
Old 04-15-11, 04:13 PM   #8
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
As Japlance said, if you create a "NEW" .mis file you must add an entry to the Campaign.cfg file or it will not get loaded into the game.
So if you take mission editor and open the .mis you want to add traffic to, add the traffic, then you save the file, it will have the new traffic and old traffic and it will already be in the campaign.cfg as long as you do not change the name of the .mis file.

I do not know how all the mods have done the .mis files. For example, the stock game does merchants and warships as separate files and they are based on dates. So you add ships in the files you want them in, most are labeled well enough to know the dates. The other MODs may do it the same or different.
You could actually put ALL the traffic from the entire war into one file using dates on the ships, groups airbases and so on, but the file would be a mess and very hard to keep track of. That is one reason they are split up into different files and dates.

I suggest making a MOD and copy the files you want to change so you don't mess up the originals. Then enable your MOD after the other one and the files with the same name will be changed.

Another suggestion to make sure your ships are working. If you create a Random Generated Group, go to group properties and set the "Contact Automatic Report" to a certain number of minutes at 100%. That will create the Red or Blue squares that show where ships are. (this is in stock, some MODs do not use it, so none of their ships will show) But setting this, you can tell if your ships are spawning correctly where and when you want them to. After you make sure it works you can go back to mission editor and change it so they don't show by setting the time to -1 and resaving it.

So to answer your basic question: You can create a new .mis and add an entry to the Campaign.cfg file for it. (Just copy an existing one and change some info)
Example from Campaign.cfg:

[Section 13]
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/42a_Jap_CoastalTraffic.mis
StartDate=19420201
EndDate=19421001
GameModes=SingleMission,SinglePatrol,Career,Multip layer Cooperative
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumDifficultyRating=0
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
EntryFocalPointLong=0
EntryFocalPointLat=0
MaximumDistanceFromStartPoint=90000
ExclusiveLayer=No
ExclusiveLayerID=0

Renumber the Section, Change the file name, change the start and end dates if necessary.

Or if you don't want to do it that way, you can add traffic to an existing .mis. Just find the right one with the right dates that you want your ships in.

But as I stated, do it on a backup, NOT the original. If you don't want to create a separate mod then copy the entire Campaign folder to a safe location so you can put it back if you mess it up.

Peabody
Many thanks for the excellent help, mates. I have things clear now. Your explanations are awesome, and very clear.

For reasons of authorizations for the use of files of other mods (RSRDC, by Lurker, he is impossible to contact now), my option is a new MIS mission file in a mod. My primary intention is:

Add traffic to San Francisco Bay.
Add air patrols in the main allied bases (as in FOTRS; TMO-RSRDC havenīt those planes).
Add traffic to Caribbean Sea and Panama Canal. Add an start "new construction" campaign from New London.
Add U boats in Caribbean Sea, for more difficult passage to Panama Canal. (If you have read "Run Silent, Run Deep" by E. Beach, and "Silent Victory" by Clair Blair, you will know the journey fron New London to Pearl via Panama Canal was a dangerous trip because the U boats in Caribbean Sea).

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.

Last edited by fitzcarraldo; 04-15-11 at 04:25 PM.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote